11 times Ironman finisher, Dr Tan Tah Ming held his 55th birthday bash over the weekend at his residence. The people that came were neighbours, Pacesetters' members, cyclists, triathletes and desert runners (his new love).
The 55th birthday is of special significance in Malaysia because that is the official retirement age for most people. You can tell what a person holds dear by the people that turn up. Dr Tan has already declared that he will use his retirement savings to participate in Desert races all over the world (good choice man).
I have been doing Triathlons, Ironmans, long rides with him for the past 20 years or so. He always, always has a smile on his face.
I am touched, when I said I had to leave his birthday bash early, he immediately called everyone around to blow the candles and made his birthday wish.
Some things about him:
- 11 times Ironman finisher (one of very few Malaysians to have done so many).
- Has already registered for the Atacama Desert run (250km) that will be held on 6 March 2011. The entry fee for this run is USD 3,000. He will do this run with 57 years' old Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr Jagjit Singh Sidhu (such a lively interesting fellow).
- He will do the Gobi Desert run on 26 June 2011.
- Did the Taklamakan Ultramarathon with his neighbour (Michael) who lives just across the road from him.
- Dr Tan is from Port Dickson, home of the longest running Triathlon in Malysia.
- Did the Hawaii Ironman in 2005. He qualified on merit at Ironman Langkawi in Feb 2005. Actually due to the Malaysia Boleh organisation, only 20 something people turned up and all Finishers qualified for Hawaii.
L to R: IM Jason Thiang, Sofian, IM Yee Sze Mun (Malaysian record holder - 15 times official Ironman finishes), IM Lee Chewee Hoe, Bruce Wun (49 times Marathon finishes), Michael (Taklamakan Desert) & Dr Tan
Dr Tan making his birthday wish, which is "to beat Yee Sze Mun and Sofian" (I am actually very touched)