- Be careful of the huge bike bag surcharges by Air Asia.
- Its OK to rent a car at the airport (cheap)
- Latest to get there is Thursday mid day. Race is on Saturday.
- Stay at Kondo Istana. Langkawi has over capacity hotels actually.
- The carbo loading (Thursday) and prize giving (Sunday) dinners are very boring, food also finishes very quickly. The regulars don't bother going.
- Thursday is officially the last day to do the medical check-up and collect the race numbers (you can do it on Friday if you let them know in advance).
- TBB and other bike mechanics provide a brilliant service before, during and after the race for free.
- Race briefing is on Friday morning at Langakasuka Hotel. The briefing will prove that you don't need anaesthetic to sleep.
- Bike and transition bags check in is on Friday.
- The car parks around the race start / area are open on race day.
- No transport is provided to / from race site.
- You can still pump your tyres etc on race morning. You can even put your bike shoes, helmet etc on the bike in the morning. Its not necessary to throw everything in the bike transition bag.
- The bike transition bag is available to make last minute adjustments on race morning. OK, my brain's dead.
Its normally a very good idea to do a swim warm up the morning before the race. Its a very nice swim course. However Langkawi is notorious for jelly fish and every year people seem to get stung.
2009 was quite bad. Even TTH got stung and not very far from the pontoon. Ade Lim and myself, we had to get a jab from a clinic in town. The jab saved us, allowing us to have a good sleep.
They spend the whole day trawling the area with nets. In the mornings, the trawlers haven't started yet. The good thing is, the sting gets you all ready for the race.