Sunday, August 24, 2008

Colin Moorhouse










I did my "A" Levels at a small town called Stamford, Lincolnshire, England from 1975 to 1977. There were 5 Malaysians and we became good friends with Colin Moorhouse. Colin had lived in "Malaya" as he calls it, lived nearby and we did things that all young people do.




He was in town on 19 Aug. Colin's childhood was spent overseas in Eden (South Yemen), Petaling Jaya and Singapore. A very happy childhood he says (his dad was in the Air Force).




Somehow, we kept in touch (I'm not sure how). I have lost contact with my Malaysian housemates but not with Colin. Colin was on his way to a United World College reunion in Singapore. One of his college mates is the CEO of Canadian Air and provided free air tickets for everyone for the reunion in Spore. I did meet Colin some years back when he came here with his second wife.




Colin is a London "Bobby", just completed his Masters and will probably do his Phd soon. Obviously Colin is a nice person who values friendship, is comfortable with any race. Actually he is a great person.




We spent the afternoon with my wife at KLCC and Putrajaya. I thoroughly enjoyed his company. I was telling him personal things, the screw ups in my life that I have not told anyone. I felt we had not changed at all and we were totally comfortable with each other just like more than 30 years ago.
We will meet again, in Perth I hope, its warmer than London.


No comments: