PD Triathlon 2010 was my best result since 2002, also at PD. Ever since I broke my arm and got the heel pain (in 2002), I regularly finished last or second last in my category. Who cares I thought, I'm doing what I love most.
The Diet. After so so many years of trying, I have finally managed to loose some weight. I got many compliments on this, thank you. The secret is, I am eating Granola Bars that my wife makes. I eat about four pieces a day for snacks and lunch. There are no preservatives and the ingredients (granola, banana, raisins, almonds etc) are all super healthy . The recipe was provided by Emma. My wife sells them (details on the right bar, at the top. Your support has made my wife very happy, thank you). Everyone thats tried them, loves them.
Swim. I only swim two hours a week in my odd shaped apartment pool which is hardly 10m long. I also have a broken arm. But I got out the water second.
The secret is to have a good start when the horn goes and ....... wait for it ..... swim the Total Immersion way. Please have an open mind.
Swimming is a technical sport just like say tennis. That means you spend your training working on your technique and not on your fitness.
70% of how well you will do is due to your body position. The remaining 30% is due to your fitness and arm movement, Yes believe me.
- A balanced body. Everyone has a problem with legs and bums that drop. So swim downhill, which actually means push your chest down a bit. The legs automatically comes up without any effort. Keep the head down too.
- A long body. Froude has scientifically proven that a longer body will always swim faster. Thus always try to keep one hand out in front as long as possible. Stretch the arm out fully. Hold the stretch and glide. The fewer strokes the better. Gliding is unfortunately quite hard to master.
- Swim on your side. Please tell me how fishes swim, and does it require them much effort. So, we should roll from the hip all the time. Don't turn the head to breath, but roll the hip. Otherwise the body won't be balanced. Really.
BIKE. I can't remember the last time I cycled on the road. All my cycling is done on the trainer six mornings a week. I'm up by 4 a.m. Its great for reducing weight and for my running believe it or not.
RUN. I had high hopes for my run, but at PD it didn't happen. The pain in the thighs were still there. So this is something I have to work on.
Paul Lee graciously provided an escort (in memory)
Gosh, my name is on the winners' Board
Juliana Ali goofing
1,200 participants and hardly anything went wrong. Incredible Mr Chan, just incredible. Even getting the accommodation was only a one minute phone call to Mr Chan. The benefit of being on good terms for more than twenty years.
TRAINING FOR IMWA 5 Dec 2010:
I am basically going to do what I have been doing the last 3 months. I am going to assume it doesn't matter whether the distance is OD or IM. I think doing a little bit everyday is the way to go rather than doing say 200km on Sunday.
CYCLING: Its going to be all on the trainer. Starting at 4.25 a.m. to 6.25 a.m. every Monday to Saturday. Its lovely to cycle at that time of the morning. I close all the windows to sweat more. Very easy spinning. Its important to check that the bicycle is actually road worthy just before the race. ha ha. Total about 12 hours per week.
SWIM: One hour on saturday and another hour on Sunday after breakfast in my apartment pool. Its quite a mental effort to not give up before the hour is up, but so far so good. Its form that counts, not splits. Total 2 hours per week.
RUN: Will be the 20 km from Bukit Aman every sunday morning. Might do 28 km instead. Total 2 hours per week. Doesn't seem much.
Weekly total will be about 16 hours. It will do I think.